1.7K views

As a Mary Kay Consultant, I have done a lot of research. I have read the wonderful and horror stories of this business.

I don't provide "free facials" I provide "free consultations" and skin care classes or parties. I do use disposable applicators to maintain sanitation but I also provide real brushes if you prefer and I sanitize them in front of my customer before every use. I never elude to a makeover or facial because women are so upset that they are doing it themselves. I also target women who want to learn how to better care for their skin or how to apply their own makeup.

However, we are required to offer the business and truth be told I am glad someone offered it to me. Mary Kay has saved me from reposessions and homelessness. Because the company, my director, and unit consultant emphasize God, this job has strengthened my faith. I use Mary Kay as part of my Ministry to women, "In the beauty of Holiness".

I'm so sorry so many of you have had bad experiences but take it from a consultant who is listening to your complaints and has adjusted my approach not to be the"Scary Kay Lady". These comments have truly hurt me and I hope these bad experience do not deter you from the products.

Their are some real consultants who really need this opportunity to care for their families and be at home.

(in tears) Mary Kay saved my life!!! Without it I don't know where me and my children would be!

Review about: Mary Kay Customer Care.

Comments

It is not just a "free facial". I was just finished cosmetology school when I met a Mary Kay lady.

I was asked to be a model for a facial and make over. So could you imagine my excitement because I just learned all this great stuff in school and a professional was going to do a makeover on me. It was not what k expected at all. It is false advertising I was very disappointed.

People are getting lied to. That's not ok.

When I did become a consultant I felt like the biggest liar every time I used the word facial because it's not accurate. Mary Kay teaches you to lie and make it sound nice.

I was a ibc and I will not bash but I would like to point out about God! I think it's a beautiful thing to help women feel beautiful.

I love make up and wear it every day. I joined Mary Kay because I wanted to make a difference but the closer I got to God I realized I was wrong. Putting on make up might up someone's self esteem but is that really Gods way? You need to examine what God says about make up before you throw out that this business is God based.

Beauty is fleeting the Lord says. It's deeper than a face issue .

I'm not a consultant but a very loyal customer of 25 years. I am very upset that Mary Kay decided to quit making a product I used for close to 25 years - their classic/basic formula 2 moisturizer.

I HATE the new product, both Timewise and Botanical. My skin has not reacted well with either. I was told to stock up on the formula 2 but not to worry because the company would have it available once a year for purchase. That was NOT TRUE.

Mary Kay has quit manufacturing it. I have totally given up on ever using Mary Kay again. I used to love my skin and received many compliments. I have tried several other products and cannot find anything like the formula 2 (balancing) formula.

My sister has also been a loyal customer for many years. We are very disappointed that they would take a good product and just replace it like that.

I would NEVER recommend this company to any of my family or friends again.

to anonymous #1279044

I couldn't agree more. I used the Balancing Moisturizer Formula 2 for over 20 years myself.

I don't like the Timewise or Botanical products and neither does my skin. I've tried sooo many other products and have yet to find anything I like. It is so disappointing that a product I depended on was just yanked out from under me.

I always got compliments on my skin and my response was always to praise MK products and advise mothers to start their daughters on it when they started wearing makeup. Never again.

Thank you for sharing your story and experience; I agree - Mary Kay is a great company and is a blessing for so many women.

When you wake up and realize that Mary Kay is stealing your life we will be waiting for you at www.pinktruth.com. We won't even tell you "I told you so."

to www.pinktruth.com Harlingen, Texas, United States #841058

everyone is entitled to their opinion but to bash someone for theirs is wrong. If you do not like a comment than don't say anything.

Maybe her life as a beauty consultant was not the same as yours. Maybe she was smart enough to do it her own way instead of following everyone else.

Www.pinktruth.com

Read it live it love it.

Amen.

Yakima, Washington, United States #822734

I am currently a MK Consultant and I knew getting into it that at first it would be a rough start as I do not know anyone. SO the only way a person can make money is not by recruiting other women.

I for one do not force other women to sign up. I leave it up to them and their hearts if they feel the urge to sign up great. If not that is totally up to them. We can still make money by selling just the make up and skin care products.

I agree with the other consultant being hurt by some of these comments.

Especially if they have never experienced being a consultant and only hear it from word of mouth from a family member or friend. Obviously they did not give it their all.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States #813570

Oh give me a break. We all know what the free "facial" is.

A lure to get unsuspecting women to fall for the fake "warm chatter" (sound familiar, Mary Kay reps? You know, "I'm looking for a sharp gal to be a face model". And then you get the hard sell and they try to recruit you to sell this ***. You know why?

Because there is no other way to make money in Mary Kay. You will only make money by getting other woman to become saleswomen and to buy tons of inventory because "you can't sell from an empty wagon". The product flies off the shelf? Really?

Total BS. Another sign of shady business practices.

Mary Kay is nothing more than a pryamid scheme MLM. If you can only make money by recruiting people to sell under you, then you are a pyramid, no matter what fake name you call it (dual something or other, I can't remember).

to Lily Rochester, New York, United States #825886

I am currently a Mary Kay Beauty Consultant who started in the business 4 years ago. My main reason for becoming a consultant was I was spending more money on the products annually than it would cost me to join the MK family.

I DO NOT OFFER FREE FACIALS, I offer skin care and makeup consultations. I do not pressure my current or new customers into buying products or product lines or to host a party. I do offer discounts or MK Bucks for customer referrals. AND I DO NOT PRESSURE ANYONE INTO BECOMING A REP AND "JOINING MY TEAM." Personnally I feel that unless you have been a consultant than you do not have the experience or intelligence to make the comments that you do.

And if you were a beauty consultant and you experienced those things first hand, then shame on your team or unit leader and/or your director. They should have been reported to the MK Customer Support group.

Mary Kay is not a $2.9 Billion/year business if their work ethic was as you stated.

to Proud to Be A MK Beauty Specia College Station, Texas, United States #829040

Wow, if you've not been a consultant, you don't have intelligence to comment? Ok...

Well I was a director/consultant for a decade, so I'll use my "intelligence" to comment. I have seen several violations of ethics that have been directly reported to corporate. One of my friends had her director putting in orders under her name without her consent, and she was reported by many consultants, but corporate's response was to "respect the suit" and that they trusted the director's judgment.

Another director opened a studio and used groupon and other services to actually SELL the "free facials." She charged people to come, and they were sorely disappointed to find out they had paid for a Mary Kay party.

She was reported to corporate several times years ago. Her studio is still up and running today with the same business practices.

Corporate cares more about their profits than doing things "The Mary Kay Way" (if there ever were such a thing). It is not a mere few "bad apples" that ruin MK's reputation.

It is the rule rather than the exception. If you haven't found that out already, you will soon enough. And when you do, come find us over at pinktruth.com.

We'll welcome you with open arms and let you know all that money and time you lost wasn't your fault. :)

to Lily Harlingen, Texas, United States #841064

Some women are capable of making money without recruiting other woman believe it or not.

Let me guess you tried and failed.

Poor girl maybe your people skills sucks and you couldn't sale a steak for a dollar.

My heart goes out to such a horrible person and I hope that one day you can find something you are successful at. Good luck.

I was one of those defending your company and Mary Kay. I don't use it, but it sickens me that women are bickering over the fact they expected free facials and for someone to do it for them.

The whole point of having a consultant during parties or private consultations, is to learn how to use the product or apply it to ones self. It's disgusting to hear some of the women say that after they had their consult, they felt pressured to buy MK "junk." If it was junk, then why agree to have makeup or anything else applied to your face? It was okay as long as it was free, right? I had someone stop me and then give me a few free samples and ask me to call them if I changed my mind about purchasing MK.

I did not call their product "junk." I did not ask for, nor expect free samples.

You keep doing what you are doing, MK Consultant. You must be doing something right, because this company has been around for 50 years or more.

to ChanelGirl Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States #828950

Well, gal friends, I was in Mary Kay for 10 years. I started as a rocket and achieved directorship within a few months.

Well, the problem is Mary Kay layers on the truth to it's new recruit. I worked my business as hard as I could, working 50 hours a week. Yes, I was an awesome seller. But really, ladies, the big gal money is in recruiting.

That's just the truth. Can you make money selling, yes, but again if you really want to earn those big commission checks, then you have to recruit. Now, ask your director or national director to show you their Schedule C to let you know how much money was actually made. The Schedule C is the form that businesses file with the IRS.

Yes, Mary Kay is a great tax deduction because there are a lot of expenses associated with direct sales.

Well, I was an OK recruiter. If someone didn't have the money to invest, then I didn't push her. My problem was I couldn't find enough qualified recruits which means women who order $600 in their first order. The directors depending on how many are ordering in a given month from their unit, make a certain percentage.

I can tell you from experience, yes, I made a little money just selling, but the expenses ate up a lot of my profit. I will challenge you to set up a Mary Kay account and put in your profit in that account. Then, when you order, only order from the money in your account. If you want to go to a Mary Kay event, only go if your Mary Kay account has enough money to cover your expenses.

This is a great way to determine if you are actually making money, and to avoid a lot of debt.

Some women get caught up ordering tons of stuff to get unit or earn Star consultant prizes.

to SouthWestSusie Harlingen, Texas, United States #841073

That is great advise. Thank you!